Monday 26 May 2008

Do I need Social networking?

I have been using  myLot and to a lesser extent Facebook for a few months now.  Up until I "discovered" myLot I would have said social networking was a waste of time and for those with enormous egos only.  Of course I know differently now - or do I?  I treat myLot as a place where I can let off steam in a measured (usually) way.  I think that others do too.  There are some large egos out there without a doubt.  There are people that strut about like the place is theirs.  When they post, they assume that we will always jump to it and respond.  Often we do.   I have had a dry spell and have had the temerity to let my ego run loose and post a discussion saying that I am "dry".  To date, I have had forty responses.  That's rather more than I thought, but as someone suggested, it was a clever ploy that has resulted in a successful discussion.  That genuinely wasn't my thought at the outset.  But is is good that someone thinks that I have been clever.  So my ego rises and I am increasingly likely to be a "strutter".

Do I need this applause though.  I like it certainly, but what effect is it having.  The fact that I have some self esteem issues is widely acknowledged, so having a higher profile on myLot must be therapeutic mustn't it?  Maybe.  But perhaps I am likely to let this go to my head and start to show off.  That's not good for me.  But if I don't post at all then how will I let my feelings go? After all, it's only a computer board, nothing critically important.  I have managed 50 years without it, why has the last 5 months been so different?

I said to someone earlier today that I feel very safe on myLot.  Cuddled, but not smothered. This whole friendship thing still puzzles me.  I have friends on myLot that have said things to me that barely any real life friends have.  All related to love and affection.  They come from countries and walks of life that I would never have encountered otherwise.  I often ask myself why social networking should produce such good friends.  Do we have something in common?Are we are all looking for friendly ears because we have something going on in our lives that makes us uncertain or because our personal circle of friends is restricted for some reason. 

Whatever the reason, we have become closer in a few months than some people that call themselves "friends" do in years.  Is this good?  or are we just deluding ourselves?  Can this level of friendship be sustained?  I have no answers, what will be will be.  There is an intensity in these friendships that I have not experienced before.  I liken it to a child with a new, all absorbing toy.  He runs home from school and plays with it until he is dragged away to bed.  I am like that with myLot and Facebook.  I dare not join any other boards otherwise I would spend even more time than I do in front of the screen.  I do know though, that there is no subject that I cannot raise with my social network friends.  I have often wondered what sort of reception I would receive from some real life friends about the subject of stress and depression. Most would be sympathetic, but the urge to run would be firmly reflected in their eyes.

Shortly I shall meet someone in a restaurant that I have known on myLot almost from the start.  We are friendly, and I have an affection for her based on the discussions and messages that we have had.  Will this meeting enhance or damage our relationship?  There is safety in maintaining our anonymity behind the computer screen, but a real life meeting might change all that and move us onto a different level that is altogether more serious.  Potentially, it might kill our whole relationship.  Obviously I don't really think that this is likely, but like the bride and groom often  have last minute doubts; has my social networking taken me to a different dimension that is starting to make the intangible, tangible.

But back to my original question.  Do I need social networking.  Currently, my answer has to be a resounding yes.  I don't really know how long it will go on for.  But I love it right now, and I guess that the present is the best that we can hope for.  I have wondered "what if my friends leave me?".  After all, a simple WWW change and they could be off to pastures new leaving me behind.  But that happens in real life too.  Maybe it is better for now to just accept that life is good in the friendship stakes and see the pluses and not the "what if" minuses.

    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, too, seem to 'need' the mylot community, but mostly just the small circle of 'friends' that include you. You are all the 'cream of the crop' in my honest opinion. The rest is just volume or window dressing.

Thanks for sticking around, P1ke. I'm trying to not get too absorbed in it, as I do have other, many responsibilites in the 'real' world. But the 'friendships' I have made here are amazing. I don't completely understand it either.

And I pull no punches. I am the same open, honest person I am on the lot. You could discuss depression or anything with me and I would respond the same way I do 'hidden' behind my screen. I'm just like that. But you're right, not everyone is.

Wish you well at your 'meeting'.